The purpose of this blog is to share some of the tools and resources that have worked for me and other followers of this blog to help us deal with our pet's anxiety -related problems, specially when left alone at home.

I want this to serve as a starting point for the many many people that may face similar issues and are desperately looking for a way to help their pets.

I also want to use this as a small database for tips for those of you that are in the process of adopting your first pet.

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Barking when left alone


My first problem with Corbin curred the first day I left him alone at home. From the minute we left he would start barking for hours driving our neighbors crazy. One day, I found the magic and painless cure: Lentek's Bark Free Dog Training device

  • Problem: Continuous , non stop barking

  • Bad Solutions: Shocking Collars. There is a huge market for shocking dog collars. These device sense the vibrations on the dog's throat, and eventually discharge a static current. I tried it on myself (180 lbs guy) and really felt the shock. Nevertheless I dared to try it once on my dog when I left him at the car alone for a few minutes. When I returned, he was in shock, super scared, and yes not barking.
    Although this is a solution, I found it too extreme

  • Good Solution: Lentek's Bark Free Dog Training device. Retails in Amazon.com for ($43.73 05/17/2011).

  • How does it work ?
    This box has a microphone that senses dog barking, and emits a "corrective tone" when your dog goes out of control. Simple, but works like a charm for my little poodle.

    This box has two modes:
    - Audible Frequency: Everyone can hear it
    - Non-Audible: Only the dog will hear it

    You can also set it to:
    - Highly Sensible: Reacts at the smallest sign of barking
    - Low Sensitively: Only when the dog repeatedly barks

  • My Advice:
    - Set it to Audible Frequency and Low Sensitivity, so that you remember that is one when you get back home. Otherwise your pooch will get confused, when you make a high pitch noise and the box makes the correctable noise.
    - Your vacuum cleaner can trigger it, so be careful, specially in Non-Audible mode. However outside noise like car breaks, trash trucks, etc, will not trigger it.
    - This is a correction device. After a while, my dog didn't need it anymore, so I turned it off. I now only use it for special occasions, when I break the daily routine and situations that may confuse him

  • Gadget Usability Rating:
    My neighbors and I give it a 10/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment